Musical submissions for 2020 will close on 31st January 2020. If you’re a dance side or street performer then you can apply a little later, but not beyond February.
Add your details to the MailChimp database below at any time. Submissions trickle in constantly throughout the year.
So if you are considering taking part then read on.
You Must Be Local To Romsey…
The Beggars Fair is a festival that promotes local talent, so we only consider acts who are local to Romsey and the surrounding area. So if you’re based in Southampton, Bournemouth, Salisbury, Andover, Basingstoke, Portsmouth, the Isle of Wight or nearer then get in touch. So roughly within 25 miles of Romsey as shown in the map below.
If you’re outside the circle then you will be quietly ignored… Sorry!
So Sign-Up on MailChimp below, describing yourself or band, act etc. Musicians please supply a website, Facebook, SoundCloud etc which has tracks we can listen to. We have a preference for those that perform original material or with an original take on existing or traditional material. Also tell us where you are based. Don’t just say you are local, be specific with a postcode.
There’s information further below for musicians.
There’s A Clue In The Event Name…
If you are professionals expecting some real gig money then the Beggars Fair is probably not for you. There is a clue in the title of the event as to how much you will be paid.
The Beggars Fair is a free community festival on an extremely limited budget. It may not be a Glastonbury, Cambridge, Sidmouth, Reading etc but we do believe it’s the biggest of its kind in Hampshire.
For our income we rely upon grants, programme selling, advertising and donations on the day to keep the Beggars Fair free for the folk of Romsey and the surrounding area. There is simply no way that an event like this can happen otherwise.
- 2020 will be the 28th Beggars Fair.
- Our venues are not ticketed and everything is free for all.
- Acts from earlier years are invited back, but up to a third will be new.
- 2019’s running order and others are at 2019, 2018, 2017 and 2016.
- Submissions for 2020 are accepted until 31st January 2020. Invitations for the lucky ones are then sent from late February onwards.
- Music played must be live, not backing tracks.
- Preference will be given to those that perform original material or with an original take on existing or traditional material.
- All varieties of folk, roots, world, blues, jazz, choral, classical, medieval recorder music, barber shop and everything thing else in-between is considered.
- Performance slots are 30/45 mins with 15/30 mins change overs.
- Venues that need PAs have them, but you need to bring any backline gear. Stage drum kits are not provided.
- The Beggars Fair team do not organise everything. Post-6pm bands in most venues are organised by the venues. Some like The Star Inn organise all their own music entirely. The Programme will list everyone regardless of who organises what.
Youth in Romsey organise all the youth bands for their Youth Festival in Memorial Park and not the main Beggars Fair team. If you’re under 18 then please apply directly to Youth In Romsey.
For Everyone Else…