If you’ve taken part before, you’ll be on our list already, but new musical submissions will close on 31st January 2018. Youth, dance & street acts can apply until April/May time.
You Need To Be Local To Romsey…
The Beggars Fair is a festival that promotes local talent, so we only consider acts who are local to Romsey and the surrounding area. So if you’re based in Southampton, Bournemouth, Salisbury, Andover, Basingstoke, Portsmouth, the Isle of Wight or nearer then get in touch. So roughly within 25 miles of Romsey as shown in the map below.
So if you’re outside the circle on the above map, then you will be quietly ignored… Sorry!
Please Email Us describing yourself or band, act etc. Musicians please supply a website, Facebook, SoundCloud etc which has tracks we can listen to. We have a preference for those that perform original material or with an original take on existing or traditional material. Also tell us what town/city you are based. Don’t just say you are local, be specific.
There’s A Clue In The Event Name…
The Beggars Fair is a free community festival on an extremely limited budget. It is not (yet) Glastonbury, Cambridge, Sidmouth, Reading or any other BIG festival, but we do believe it’s the biggest of its kind in Hampshire.
So, if you are professionals after some real gig money then the Beggars Fair is probably not for you. We only pay meagre expenses and many acts insist on playing for free. There is a clue in the title of the event.
For our income we rely upon grants, programme selling & advertising and donations on the day to keep the Beggars Fair free for the folk of Romsey and the surrounding area. There is simply no way that an event like this can happen otherwise.
- 2018 will be the 26th Beggars Fair.
- There are no ticketed venues, everything is free for all.
- The event happens from 11am to late.
- See the running orders from 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014 and 2013 for the finished articles.
- We invite acts from previous years back, but up to a third will be new.
- We are limited to inviting 60-ish acts in total. Our budget and venues are of a finite size.
- You can sell CDs, T-shirts or anything else you want. We don’t care and we won’t take a cut.
- Submissions are accepted until 31st January 2018. The majority of acts are then selected by the team in February with invitations then sent from late February to late April.
- Preference will be given to those that perform original material or with an original take on existing or traditional material.
- The musical composition is eclectic. So all varieties of folk, roots, world, blues, jazz, choral, classical, medieval recorder music, barber shop and everything thing else in-between can perform.
- Performance slots are 30/45 minute and 15/30 minutes change overs.
- Venues that need PAs have them, but you need to bring any backline gear.
- Stage drum kits are not provided.
- You will be required to fill in a PRS form of what you play.
- If you want to play at The Star Inn, The Bishop Blaize or The Tipsy Pig, then these venues organise their own music. So contact them directly if you wish to play there.
Youth in Romsey organise all the youth bands for the Youth Festival in Memorial Park and not the main Beggars Fair team.
If you’re under 18 then please apply to perform here. The reason being is that the venues with PAs are licensed premises, except the Park. So please select Youth in Romsey when you Email.
So if the above hasn’t put you off then email us or Youth in Romsey.