Musical submissions for 2019 closed on 31st January 2019. If you’re a dance side or street performer then you can apply a little later, but not beyond February.
However…you can always add your details to the database at any time (submissions trickle in constantly throughout the year) but the likelihood of being selected now is much reduced.
So if you are considering taking part then read on.
You Must Be Local To Romsey…
The Beggars Fair is a festival that promotes local talent, so we only consider acts who are local to Romsey and the surrounding area. So if you’re based in Southampton, Bournemouth, Salisbury, Andover, Basingstoke, Portsmouth, the Isle of Wight or nearer then get in touch. So roughly within 25 miles of Romsey as shown in the map below.
If you’re outside the circle then you will be quietly ignored… Sorry!
So Sign-Up on MailChimp below, describing yourself or band, act etc. Musicians please supply a website, Facebook, SoundCloud etc which has tracks we can listen to. We have a preference for those that perform original material or with an original take on existing or traditional material. Also tell us where you are based. Don’t just say you are local, be specific with a postcode.
There’s information further below for musicians.
There’s A Clue In The Event Name…
If you are professionals expecting some real gig money then the Beggars Fair is probably not for you. There is a clue in the title of the event as to how much you will be paid.
The Beggars Fair is a free community festival on an extremely limited budget. It may not be a Glastonbury, Cambridge, Sidmouth, Reading etc but we do believe it’s the biggest of its kind in Hampshire.
For our income we rely upon grants, programme selling, advertising and donations on the day to keep the Beggars Fair free for the folk of Romsey and the surrounding area. There is simply no way that an event like this can happen otherwise.
- 2019 will be the 27th Beggars Fair.
- The event runs from 11am to 10pm.
- Our venues are not ticketed and everything is free for all.
- Acts from earlier years are invited back, but up to a third will be new.
- Previous running orders can be found at 2018, 2017, 2016 and 2015.
- Submissions for 2019 are accepted until 31st January 2019. Invitations for the lucky ones are then sent from late February onwards.
- Music played must be live, not backing tracks.
- Preference will be given to those that perform original material or with an original take on existing or traditional material.
- All varieties of folk, roots, world, blues, jazz, choral, classical, medieval recorder music, barber shop and everything thing else in-between is considered.
- Performance slots are 30/45 mins with 15/30 mins change overs.
- Venues that need PAs have them, but you need to bring any backline gear. Stage drum kits are not provided.
- The Star Inn and The Tipsy Pig organise their own music. So contact them directly if you wish to play there.
Youth in Romsey organise all the youth bands for the Youth Festival in Memorial Park and not the main Beggars Fair team. If you’re under 18 then please apply directly to Youth In Romsey.
For Everyone Else…