Applications for 2018
If you’ve played before, you’ll be on our list already, but new musical submissions will close on 31st January 2018
The Beggars Fair is a festival that promotes local talent, so we only consider acts who are local to Romsey and the surrounding area. So if you’re based in Southampton, Bournemouth, Salisbury, Andover, Basingstoke, Portsmouth, the Isle of Wight or nearer then get in touch. So roughly within 25 miles of Romsey as shown in the map below.
So if you’re outside the circle on the map, then you will be quietly ignored… Sorry!
Please send a message via the Email Us page describing yourself or band, act etc. Musicians please supply a website, Facebook, SoundCloud etc which has tracks we can listen to. We are not anti-covers but have a preference for those that perform original material or with an original take on existing or traditional material. Also tell us what town/city you are based. Don’t just say you are local, be specific.
Musical submissions close on 31st January 2018. You can still apply after that, and may get selected, but the vast majority of acts will be picked from those on the selection list at that point. Youth, dance & street acts can apply until April/May time.
Contact Nigel, Cath or Youth in Romsey via the Email Us page and they will get in touch with you.
Further details on how it all works…
If you are professionals after some real gig money then the Beggars Fair is probably not for you. We only pay meagre expenses and many acts insist on playing for free. There is a clue in the title of the event.
The Beggars Fair is a free community festival on an extremely limited budget. It is not (yet) Glastonbury, Cambridge, Sidmouth, Reading or any other BIG festival, but we do believe it’s the biggest of its kind in Hampshire.
For our income we rely upon grants, programme selling & advertising and donations on the day to keep the Beggars Fair free for the folk of Romsey and the surrounding area. There is simply no way that an event like this can happen otherwise.
- 2018 will be the 26th Beggars Fair.
- There are no ticketed venues, everything is free for the punters.
- The musical composition is eclectic. So all varieties of folk, roots, world, blues, jazz, choral, classical, medieval recorder music, barber shop and everything thing else in-between can perform.
- Preference will be given to acts that:
Are local to Romsey (that is within 25 miles)
Perform original material or with an original take on existing or traditional material.
Are newly-formed acts.
Have not performed at the Beggars Fair before.
- Music submissions are accepted until 31st January 2018. The majority of the acts are then selected by the team in February with invitations then sent in late February to late April.
- We are limited to inviting 60-ish acts in total. Our budget and venues are of a finite size.
- We invite acts from previous years back, but up to a third will be new.
- The running order is not created until late April.
- Events happen on the Saturday 11am-late.
- Music acts get a 30/45 minute performance slot in the programme with 15/30 minutes to change over.
- See the running orders for 2016, 2015, 2014 and 2013 for the finished articles.
On the day…
- Those venues that need PAs have them, but you need to bring any backline gear. Stage drum kits are not provided.
- You can sell CDs, T-shirts or anything else you want. We don’t care and we won’t take a cut.
- All outdoor venues for music have covers to perform under out of the rain or (with luck) out of the blazing sun.
So if the above hasn’t put you off then contact Nigel, Cath or Romsey Youth via the Email Us page.